I realize I have not yet plugged this year’s gigs here.
For classical music, I’m in the bass sections of the Santa Monica and Palisades symphonies. Many shows coming up, all free. Santa Monica is playing the Firebird Suite – I’m especially stoked about that.
For jazz, I’m playing every other Friday with Dave Williams and his Rhythm Agents at the Exhibition Room in Long Beach, 930pm- Call ahead.
and then there’s the unclassifiable creative stuff:
- West Coast Chamber Jazz Trio Feb. 15, 7:30 at the Santa Monica Public Library. This is Andrea Centazzo’s group with Ellen Burr and me, playing his compositions. Free show.
- Open Gate Theater Improvaganza Mar. 5, 7pm at the Eagle Rock Center for the Arts. I am honored to join a mass aggregation of LA creative musicians, from Vinny Golia and Bobby Bradford down to, well, me, for an evening of mix & match free playing. $10.
- JAB (with Anna Homler & Breeze Smith) Apr. 6, 8pm at the Battery Books & Music.
- and Jack Curtis Dubowsky Ensemble Apr. 27, 7pm at the Santa Monica Public Library, live score to The Mark of Zorro. Free admission.
I’m happy to report I got funding for the Soundwaves concert series at the Santa Monica Public Library for the full year and have booked a killer lineup:
- Jan. 18: Emily Hay & Steuart Liebig
- Feb. 15: West Coast Chamber Jazz Trio (Andrea Centazzo, Ellen Burr, and myself)
- Mar. 15: Michael Pisaro
- Apr. 19: Bonnie Barnett with Dan Clucas (trumpet), Daniel Goode (clarinet), Richard Wood (alto saxophone), Hal Onserud (bass), and Garth Powell (drums)
- May 17: Harry Partch films, instrument demonstrations, and a performance by John Schneider
- June 7: Southland Ensemble plays Pauline Oliveros.
- July 19: Sean Sonderegger‘s Magically Inclined
- Aug. 16: Tom Peters Plays Tom Johnson
- Sept. 20: Olivier Messiaen’s Quartet for the End of Time
- Oct. 18: Tone Drift (GE Stinson, Kris Tiner, and Steuart Liebig)
- Nov. 15: Eric Barber Quintet
- Dec. 20: TBD
All shows are free and start at 7:30PM.
The new music series I’ve been organizing at my workplace, with Daniel Rothman‘s help, continues! We have booked the first half of the year, with some great folks queued up for the second half and maybe a bonus show or two to be added.
I am helping to bring the Creative Music Studio to Los Angeles for a weekend intensive in January. If you are a musician, and especially if you are dealing with improvised and/or groove-based music, I encourage you to check this out. Two days/three nights of intensive work with Karl Berger, Ingrid Sertso, Mark Dresser, Nicole Mitchell, and other teaching artists TBD. I have traveled to Woodstock several times to attend CMS sessions. You will not regret it.
This has been postponed. Stay tuned, and check out CMS’s upcoming NY events.
On December 21 I am leading a public participation performance of Terry Riley’s “In C” as part of the Soundwaves new music series I host at the Santa Monica Public Library. Anyone who wants to play should download the score and get there by 6pm to rehearse. Pitched instruments only. Showtime is 7:30. No pay, but I can comp players’ parking. Hope to see you there!